Author Topic: Italian Passion for Speed and Brecon Beacons Driving Day. 17/18 June 2017  (Read 1040 times)

Offline Colin

• Events Manager
  • 695 Member
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: RX65URG
The latest event which I am delighted to announce is actually a Double Header: two different activities to enjoy, one static and one involving driving.

The inaugural Italian Passion for Speed event took place in Cardiff last year, and I am delighted that it is returning for 2017, with this year's date being Sunday 18th June. The setting is just made for cars! A sort of natural amphitheatre area right in the heart of Cardiff Bay, there's space for 200 cars, and the hope is that it will be filled with an arresting display of Italian performance cars - Abarth, Alfa, Ferrari, Fiat, Lamborghini, Lancia and Maserati. With luck we may even see rarities such as a deTomaso or a Pagani. For those who've not been, Cardiff Bay is a vibrant area, with waterside bars and restaurants as well as stunning views out of the water. The event's website is now launched, so you can apply for your place by going to www.italianpassionforspeed.co.uk . You can read about the 2016 event here: http://colinoncars.com/2016/07/20/italian-passion-…ff-bay-june-2016/   

For those who want to give their Abarths a bit of exercise on some of the fantastic roads in the Brecon Beacons, we will be holding an Abarth Driving Day on Saturday 17th June. The plan is to meet around 09:30 for a hearty breakfast at a location just off the M4 in Chepstow (just beyond the original Severn Bridge) and from there to take some scenic roads up past Abergavenny and Crickhowell and head up the Mountain Road, one you will recognise from pictures in a number of magazines and You Tube clips. After lunch at a pub back in Crickhowell, we will head deeper into the Beacons for our afternoon sortie. The scenery will be stunning and the roads are just made for cars like ours!

You can come to one or both of these events. If there is interest, I will organise an evening meal in the area for the Saturday evening, as well.

This is going to be a great Abarth weekend. Make sure you don't miss out!     
Abarth 595 Competizione 180: Cordolo Red: Red Leather Sabelts: Skydome

It replaced: 

Abarth 500 NP: Pasadoble Red: Red Leather: SkyDome: Climate: 17" Petals

Offline Salvos_white_abarth

• 695 Member
  • Abarth...the best thing since slice bread.
    • View Profile
Any update on this event?

Offline Colin

• Events Manager
  • 695 Member
    • View Profile
Still going ahead. Will put a reminder up on the Facebook event for it later.

Will announce the detailed plans soon.

It replaced: 

Offline Colin

• Events Manager
  • 695 Member
    • View Profile
Another reminder about the Italian Passion for Speed event taking place in Cardiff Bay on 18th June.

The number of people who have signed up so far is, frankly, very disappointing. I don't know why, as this is an excellent venue, right in the heart of the Bay, with the cars in a lovely setting, and an array of bars, restaurants and other attractions on hand for those who something more than just cars. Last year there were plenty of Ferraris, a Lamborghini Aventador and a handful of Abarths. Surely we can do better than that in 2017? My report on the event is here: http://colinoncars.com/2016/07/20/italian-passion-…ff-bay-june-2016/ ‎

Full details of how to book up for the event are here: http://www.italianpassionforspeed.co.uk/

It replaced: 

Offline jenniferlouise

• 695 Member
    • View Profile
Hi Colin, sounds like another brilliant event. Unfortunately we are in Italy so can't fit it in. We've booked a 500X for the holiday to accommodate four comfortably so hoping to provide some feedback after (car and holiday). Anyway back to the event... jenniferlouise and I drove these roads a couple of years ago, going up past Bala, Snowdonia and overnighting in Conway. Quite breathtaking.  Disappointed not to be able to make this Abarth party but also looking forward to some sunshine in Naples and the surrounding countryside. A&J
Abarth history : 2014 595C Turismo Scorpione Black I 2016 595C Turismo Podium Blue I 2017 695C Yamaha XSR Circuit Grey #035 🦂

Offline Colin

• Events Manager
  • 695 Member
    • View Profile
Earlier I announced a Brecon Beacons Driving Day as part of a 2 day series of activities in South Wales. Here now are the final details.

This will take place on Saturday 17th June.

Starting point is at the Two Rivers Inn in Chepstow. Postcode is NP16 5PR, and for those who are coming along the M4, make sure you use the old Severn Crossing or you will have a long detour back on yourself on the M48! As well as coffees and teas, this Pub serves excellent (and sizeable) cooked breakfasts. The plan is to leave here around 10:30am - so if you do want a breakfast, allow enough time for them to cook it, and for you to eat it!

There is then a morning route, which will take us on back roads along the Usk Valley, through Usk, skirting Abergavenney and up to the Llangyndir Mountain Road, one which you recognise from various magazine articles and You Tube videos.

We will regroup at the Bridge Inn in Crickhowell, and those who are hungry (which may not be those who had the breakfast!), can grab a bite to eat.  Postcode is NP8 1AR

The afternoon route will be more testing. We head up to Hay on Wye, and then take the mountain road over Hay Bluff. The scenery is stunning on a drive of around 15 miles across the Welsh moors. There are stretches of this road which are single track, so having a small car like ours will help when you inevitably do meet cars coming the other way. I only had to reverse twice on my recce drive yesterday! But it will be worth it.

Final assembly point will be the Skirrid Mountain Inn, in Llanvihangel Crucorney, apparently the oldest Inn in Wales, which is at the far end of the road across the moors. From here, it is a 5 mile journey down the A40 to Abergavenny. Or for those who wish to head back to the Midlands, you can head north towards Hereford.

The route has been planned so that you can do some or all of it. Those who do not make the morning point in time could either join us at the Bridge Inn for lunch, or even go straight to the Llangyndir Mountain Road (there is a car park on the right as you climb up on open countryside. Similarly, those who don't want to do the Hay Bluff journey can simply head away fro Crickhowell.

This being Wales, the weather is unpredictable. If it is forecast to be truly foul, then this trip will be no fun at all, and it will make sense to reschedule, but provided there is nothing worse than Welsh Mist, and ideally lots of blue sunny skies, it will be a day of stunning scenery, some fun roads and some testing ones, as well as the cameraderie of other Abarth Owners. To help me gauge numbers, please sign up (even if you have already posted on the combined post for the Italian Passion for Speed event as well -and please do consider attending that on the Sunday).     

It replaced: 

Offline Rizler

• Abarth Professional
    • View Profile
I'll be up for the drive on the Saturday... not sure if i will be able to stay sunday.
Whats the numebers looking like?

Offline Colin

• Events Manager
  • 695 Member
    • View Profile
Numbers are looking disappointing, frankly............. this is going to be a great weekend, and the weather gods look like they are on side, which will make it even better. there's still space for more to participate.     

It replaced: 

Offline Rizler

• Abarth Professional
    • View Profile
Unfortuantely  I Know have to go london over the weekend! Unfortuantely will miss this and weather is looking to be great!