Author Topic: miles per gallon  (Read 9871 times)

Offline Sven

• Abarth Professional
  • Abarrrrth is the new edition only sold in wales
    • View Profile
Re: miles per gallon
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2015, 02:25:22 PM »
Well I must have a lead foot because I'm only getting 25.5 mpg atm but I only have 400 miles on the car.
Never to old to be a boy racer I think !!

Offline Thesaint68

• Abarth Professional
  • Newbie Abarth owner
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: JB65 YAM
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2015, 04:48:59 PM »
when i started this thread i already had my answer.....it doesn't really matter!

it is so much fun to drive, fuel economy isn't important i was just curious.

i hardly ever even have the music on cos i love the sound of the Monza :-)

thanks for the input all
Podium blue Yamaha Factory Racing edition | Power Motive exhaust | Sports Cat | Bola B1 alloys l H&R lowering springs l 12mm & 10mm Spacers | ProAlfa Remap | Forge Induction kit | Forge actuator | Mtech short shifter | Airtec FMIC | Team Heko wind deflectors | Limo black side/rear window

Offline Tommyb

• Abarth Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2015, 04:31:25 PM »
When I first got the car wondered if I had a fuel leak because the fuel would go down so quickly! jumping from a 50+ mpg slow car to a fiesty abarth was a bit of a shock in terms of mpg, now I track it and average about 33mpg which is alright I guess, I don't know how some of you are averaging near the 40's!

Suppose its not my fault, I start work at 5am and the entire way is unused small twisty roads. Might explain why I can't keep the sport button off for more than one length of a journey. Love it just wish I didn't have to fill up every 2-3 days!

Offline S13GE

• Events Leader
  • 695 Member
  • Instagram - ts13ger
    • View Profile
    • My Soundcloud
  • Registration Number: TS13GER
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2015, 11:10:07 PM »
@Sven - 25mpg....!  :o that's never been seen on my car or anyone I know, are you towing another car behind you or something lol

I found that a few friends who used standard fuel were getting much less mpg out of there A500's and when they tried the premium octane fuels it increased massively, therefore I believe that our cars really do need to be ran on 99.

Not only that but the performance in terms of throttle response and general pull was much better with 99 too.
Modena Yellow 595 Competizione | Performance Pack |  Novitec Challenge Corse Evo Exhaust | Yellow Brembos | M-Tech Short Shifter | Beats Audio  system | 7" Infotainment sat nav | ProAlfa remap:::208bhp/271lbft... instagram me :D

Offline Thesaint68

• Abarth Professional
  • Newbie Abarth owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2015, 04:25:16 AM »
Morning @S13GE

I have tried Shell vpower and can't really say I noticed a real difference? I only tend to use Shell and I am certainly not going near a supermarket pump.........maybe I will give the higher octane another go?
Podium blue Yamaha Factory Racing edition | Power Motive exhaust | Sports Cat | Bola B1 alloys l H&R lowering springs l 12mm & 10mm Spacers | ProAlfa Remap | Forge Induction kit | Forge actuator | Mtech short shifter | Airtec FMIC | Team Heko wind deflectors | Limo black side/rear window

Offline FRZ

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: FRZ 595
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2015, 09:23:54 AM »
Most european cars would get more mpg with premium (higher octane) fuels due to it being more efficient at delivering power, you get a bigger bang with an equivalent amount of fuel (more power) or equivalent power for less fuel (increased mpg). It's all down to it being less combustable meaning it can be compressed more before ignition.

Most people don't bother using it because most of the gain in knocked out by the increased cost and people generally don't notice the long term improvements, they only see the price hike at the pump.

This is also why re mapped cars often give increased mpg as well as increased power. They are better optimised to make the most out of a given fuel grade but the trade off being that they have a smaller window in which they can operate. i.e. they would have problems sooner on lower grade or degraded fuel compared to a standard car.

On previous cars I have found to get full benefit from premium fuel it takes about 5 or 6 refills of the good stuff if you've been using 95. You never seem to notice the gradual increase (the car takes a while to adjust) but you really do notice the decrease (when the knock sensor kicks in) if you run the tank near empty and fill up with 95. It's feels like driving around with the hand brake on.
2016 595c Competizione 180 | Campovolo Grey | Series 4

Offline Thesaint68

• Abarth Professional
  • Newbie Abarth owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2015, 10:17:18 AM »
Thanks @FRZ.......I will give it a more long term test then  :)

Offline harry flatters

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2015, 02:57:48 PM »
reckon your 37/38 mpg not too bad!  Of course, depends how you drive - can be quite sensitive to that and very much also to what sort of motoring you have been doing.  My standard A500 gives me similar to yours on short trip, everyday driving but I have no problem in getting mid 40's on any sort of a run, including continental where speed limits are higher ;)
Nov 2012 A500, officiano red, 17' petals but otherwise standard (wife beats me severely about the head and body if I talk about customising but I did buy a logoed folding umbrella!) I just love it - the car that is! well, and the wife!!

CB

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2015, 06:40:45 PM »
Was the question how much mpg? :o

Offline Andy595

• Abarth Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2015, 12:02:00 PM »
On our previous Turismo we averaged 37 mpg over a 3 year period. I switched from standard fuel to super about half way through ownership. After a couple of weeks we saw an increased MPG from @ 34 to 38 ish.

We have recently picked up a new one, which now has 1500 miles on it, we are averaging 32 mpg. This only using super fuel.

Whilst I would expect a new car to not give the returns expected straight from the off, I am a little disappointed although don't blame the car. If any of you have been around the Manchester area over the last 2 months, you will understand :-[

2 and a bit hours to cover 23 miles, and the same on the return journey at night! Have barely got the new car out of 3rd gear.

I am a bit sad and do monitor MPG from one fill up to the next, I reckon it is a good early warning of problems if fruity driving hasn't been undertaken ;)

I always fill up at Sainsbury's, I know people reckon Shell or BP are better, but my understanding is that all the fuel comes from the same depots ( hence the distribution problems the other year when Bunsfield exploded) so all should be reasonably equal.

Andy

Offline S13GE

• Events Leader
  • 695 Member
  • Instagram - ts13ger
    • View Profile
    • My Soundcloud
  • Registration Number: TS13GER
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2015, 12:32:20 PM »
Morning @S13GE

I have tried Shell vpower and can't really say I noticed a real difference? I only tend to use Shell and I am certainly not going near a supermarket pump.........maybe I will give the higher octane another go?

Well petrol is kind of my 'area' as I have a degree in Petrology (well Geology & Geophysics) and I swear by Momentum 99; it's always been the best fuel with my last 4 cars and I've tried everything!

I don't even like Tesco in any way, but it's where I always fill up and I have used MM99 since day 1 of owning my Abarth
Modena Yellow 595 Competizione | Performance Pack |  Novitec Challenge Corse Evo Exhaust | Yellow Brembos | M-Tech Short Shifter | Beats Audio  system | 7" Infotainment sat nav | ProAlfa remap:::208bhp/271lbft... instagram me :D

CB

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2015, 03:12:40 PM »
I found this:
Both Shell V-Power Nitro + 99 and Tesco Momentum 99 use ethanol to boost the octane, the Tesco fuel made by Greenergy does have a slightly higher MON rating so works very well in turbocharged cars. I've read the datasheets and Shell does have less ethanol/methanol/iso-alcohol in the mix.

Maybe it is good for turbo cars.

Offline Sven

• Abarth Professional
  • Abarrrrth is the new edition only sold in wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2015, 03:27:28 PM »
@Sven - 25mpg....!  :o that's never been seen on my car or anyone I know, are you towing another car behind you or something lol

I found that a few friends who used standard fuel were getting much less mpg out of there A500's and when they tried the premium octane fuels it increased massively, therefore I believe that our cars really do need to be ran on 99.

Not only that but the performance in terms of throttle response and general pull was much better with 99 too.

Lol that is on momentum 99 must be my driving style but I do make a few short trips the school run so maybe that messes it up a bit :) never really see the mpg it doesn't show up in sport mode.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 03:30:59 PM by Sven »
Never to old to be a boy racer I think !!

Offline FRZ

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: FRZ 595
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2015, 06:43:41 AM »
I think issues with supermarket fuel are more to do with economics and logistics than the actual petrol which is probably all the same stuff to start with.

The premium brands would buy the best quality, freshest stuff first at a premium price hence why they charge a premium price for their product. This guarantees their product will be the same high quality wherever or whenever you buy it. After they are done the cheaper brands come along and buy up what's left. In theory it's same stuff but has probably has been sitting around longer and as petrol degrades over time it's now of a lesser quality. This is cheaper to buy hence they can sell it cheaper but it means the consistency is somewhat dependant on what's available to buy at any one given time.

If' the petrol industry is anything like the tobacco industry I worked in a few years ago you'll find the cheap brands also blend products from different sources and mix up old and new stock to try and iron out the quality issues associated with how they buy the product in the first place.

Supermarket's also rely on the fact that they are going to sell larges volumes quickly so the product doesn't degrade much more due to being sat around too long in petrol station tanks. The problems start to occur when it doesn't sell as quickly as planned was a lesser quality batch to start with.
2016 595c Competizione 180 | Campovolo Grey | Series 4

Offline 595girlie

• 695 Member
  • Hanging out the washing is a dangerous sport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2015, 08:32:28 AM »
Well I am a bit disappointed. I managed to get average of 20mpg over roughly 50 laps of Brands Hatch. I was hoping to at least get in the teens!!!
595 Competizione | Campovolo Grey | Red Mirrors | Side Stripes | Chequered Roof | Red Leather Sabelts | Interscope | Heko Wind Deflectors | Forge Induction Hose | Novitec Lowering Springs | Airtec FMIC | Milltek Turbo Back Exhaust | Forge Actuator | IHI Hybrid Turbo | ProAlfa Remap