Author Topic: Floor mats  (Read 4952 times)

Offline BamBam

• Abarth Novice
    • View Profile
Floor mats
« on: December 12, 2015, 01:48:04 AM »
Hi all,
My car mats are genuine, came with the car, but have one lug in the centre, whereas the car as 2 securing lugs on the floor.

They WERE held in place by velcro which is now useless and they move all over the place.  We have tried a few variations of gluing something to the mat where the floor log is the hold it but nothing seems to stay.

Are there any genuine Abarth 500 mats with 2 lugs each mat?  I have seen 595 and 695 but would prefer to be standard to the car.

Offline captpicard

• 695 Member
  • make it so..
    • View Profile
Re: Floor mats
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 12:29:44 PM »
yes, I think the old mats (older models) had one securing lug, where as the newer models have 2
Abarth 500c custom(595)Heko's, PIAA DRL's, black mirror caps, smoked indicators, rear/side privacy tints, BMC filter, blackline official rear lights, black front whisker, rear badge, rear boot handle, boot flap mod...

Offline FRZ

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: FRZ 595
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 12:01:39 AM »
Mine were the same, the mats had one hole in the centre but the car has two fixing points. I assumed someone had bought the older style when the car needs the newer ones.

I got fed up with them moving around so bought the newer style two hole ones but found the holes don't align with the fixing points on the floor. In fact the fixings they came with are quite shallow and are designed to screw into the pile of the carpet which is what I have done. So far they are working well, also the mats are a slightly different shape which means they are a much better fit in the footwell.

The fixing holes on the floor are much deeper and are designed to take the alloy screw type fixings with the logo on, I have a couple of them. I can only think they are for fitting the expensive 1/2 leather mats you can buy on the Abarth store.
2016 595c Competizione 180 | Campovolo Grey | Series 4

Offline BamBam

• Abarth Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 01:10:14 AM »
It's annoying that a new car came with the wrong mats!  They must have known as velcro had been added.

I am looking at these:
https://www.gazzellaracing.com/product.php?productid=19969

I have asked the distance between the lugs to check that they'll fit.

Mine don't seem to be screw lugs, but they have a slight lip for it to grip.  It is a bit hard to see!

FRZ are you saying there are some with the hole in the floor, as opposed to the hole being in the mat?

Offline captpicard

• 695 Member
  • make it so..
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 09:29:12 AM »
It's annoying that a new car came with the wrong mats!  They must have known as velcro had been added.

I am looking at these:
https://www.gazzellaracing.com/product.php?productid=19969

I have asked the distance between the lugs to check that they'll fit.

Mine don't seem to be screw lugs, but they have a slight lip for it to grip.  It is a bit hard to see!

FRZ are you saying there are some with the hole in the floor, as opposed to the hole being in the mat?
If you brought the car new , why do yo not go back to the dealer and ask for the correct ones?
Abarth 500c custom(595)Heko's, PIAA DRL's, black mirror caps, smoked indicators, rear/side privacy tints, BMC filter, blackline official rear lights, black front whisker, rear badge, rear boot handle, boot flap mod...

Offline FRZ

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 09:47:07 AM »
Mine has holes in the floor (2 drivers and 2 passengers sides) that these fixings screw into
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111579311633?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I'm now thinking these are only to fit theses mats…
http://www.abarthstore.com/en/product/car-mat-set-595-logo-for-cars-with-manual-transmission-and-right-hand-drive

The mats I bought are just like these…
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fiat-500-Abarth-2012-on-Genuine-Floor-Carpet-Mats-Black-New-Genuine-5745024-/111793714657?hash=item1a076cb5e1:g:9-UAAOSwyTZUXgv7
The holes on these don't line up with the holes in the floor. They have black plastic fixings that screw into the carpet and have lugs that the mats clip onto. I'm not sure they would screw into the holes on the floor even if they did line up, the screw thread is too shallow.
These plastic clips can just be seen with these mats…
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151874934897?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

My mats are the same shape as the 2 ebay links above and fit my 2013 595 comp manual (I think that makes a difference) perfectly. The ones in in your link are quite a different shape, I'm not sure why that is the case as they say they are for the 500. The leather mats on the the abarth store are a different shape again, it's all very confusing.

Offline BamBam

• Abarth Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 08:55:42 AM »
If you brought the car new , why do yo not go back to the dealer and ask for the correct ones?

At the time, they only had these and it has been 2 years now.  For a long time, they were OK as the velcro stuck but it has worn out it's grip now.

Offline BamBam

• Abarth Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 08:59:58 AM »
Mine has holes in the floor (2 drivers and 2 passengers sides) that these fixings screw into
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111579311633?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.abarthstore.com/en/product/car-mat-set-595-logo-for-cars-with-manual-transmission-and-right-hand-drive

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fiat-500-Abarth-2012-on-Genuine-Floor-Carpet-Mats-Black-New-Genuine-5745024-/111793714657?hash=item1a076cb5e1:g:9-UAAOSwyTZUXgv7
The holes on these don't line up with the holes in the floor. They have black plastic fixings that screw into the carpet and have lugs that the mats clip onto. I'm not sure they would screw into the holes on the floor even if they did line up, the screw thread is too shallow.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151874934897?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

My mats are the same shape as the 2 ebay links above and fit my 2013 595 comp manual (I think that makes a difference) perfectly. The ones in in your link are quite a different shape, I'm not sure why that is the case as they say they are for the 500. The leather mats on the the abarth store are a different shape again, it's all very confusing.

FRZ I think our lugs must be totally different.  I have a plastic thing that sticks up out of the floor (wow such techo terms) and the hole is in the mat which clicks onto the plastic lug thingy.  My plastic lug thingies don't have a screw thread on them, just a lip that the mat clicks over, or it would it it had holes in the right place.

Offline captpicard

• 695 Member
  • make it so..
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2015, 08:47:27 AM »

FRZ I think our lugs must be totally different.  I have a plastic thing that sticks up out of the floor (wow such techo terms) and the hole is in the mat which clicks onto the plastic lug thingy.  My plastic lug thingies don't have a screw thread on them, just a lip that the mat clicks over, or it would it it had holes in the right place.

Ditto

Offline BamBam

• Abarth Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2015, 11:30:52 AM »
I got a reply from Gazzella Racing and they said to contact my local dealer!  I did go through the process of ordering them just to check postage and it was more than the mats cost.  Plus I suspect they were LWD.

So I went to a dealer, not the one I bought it from because TBH they are pretty useless, and after much investigating they say the Abarth 2 lugs per mat to fit my car were never released in Australia.  They have Fiat 500 mats that should fit, but they were moving warehouse and they weren't there right then.  I will be picking them up this week.  At least the logo will match the dash I guess.

Offline BamBam

• Abarth Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2016, 09:04:48 AM »
Update: got the 500 mats, and the lugs fitting great!  I was so hopeful!  But the passenger side was a totally different shape mat/footwell.

Luckily i was still there and the guy came out and had a look, saw they weren't a goer and refunded me.

So he referred me to a place that custom makes mats.  Rang them, made a time to go and see him.  Got there and the place was locked up, no one there.  FML.  I give up, I'm keeping the mats I have.

Offline FRZ

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2016, 10:07:58 AM »
Sorry to hear you are still having trouble, A500 mats are really confusing.   

I managed to take some photos of my mat fixings the other day and I've added an image of the exact mats I have, these are a perfect fit (including the passengers one) in my 2013 595c Comp, manual, right hand drive. The blue square shows the area of the driver side mat show in the other 2 photos.

The other photos both show the different fixings. The mat is not in the correct position, it's been moved slightly to show how they attach.

A is the hole predrilled in the car (the larger white hole). The hole is through the carpet and in the metal floor underneath. I'm not sure what the 4 other smaller holes are they seem to be lugs help make sure the carpet is located in the correct place.

B is the aluminium screw that fixes into A. For some reason I only have 2 of these.

C is the plastic lug that came with the mats. These have a shallow thread underneath that screws into the pile of the carpet. They don't attach to the metal floor in any way. These can be located anywhere on the carpet, this one is in the correct place for the drivers mat to fit in the correct position.

D is a fixing prefitted into the mat, It clips onto C and keeps the mat secure.

I bought these mats expecting to use B to fit through D and then screw into A but as you can see they don't line up. In the end I had to fit the C's into the D's, lay the mats in the correct place then, while still clipped into the D's, screw the C's into the carpet.

Offline BamBam

• Abarth Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2016, 01:09:05 PM »
FRZ those mats are the ones I need I think.  Mine have the clicky things, not the screwy things.  The lugs look to be in the correct position.

But they are not available in Australia and the place I found that sold them (UK?) won't post them here, plus the postage would be more than the mats are.

Fiat in Australia is pretty piss poor to be honest.  It's lucky I love the car or I wouldn't put up with them.

Offline Brian1612

• 695 Member
  • 200 bhp Competizione
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2016, 06:38:23 PM »
Have heard plenty of stories of the mats not staying in place but so far not had any issues with them, metal pins are still locked firmly in place!
---Abarth 595 Competizione Owner---
-Grey Leather Sabelts
-Interscope
-Yellow Brembos
-Engine Remap
-H&R Springs
-12mm & 16mm Spacers
-Mtech Short Shifter
-LED rear lamps
-CF Front Splitter
-CF Dipped Dash
-Yellow Exterior Details (Scuderia Stripes/Scorpions)
-Aluminium Speaker Covers & Plaque