Author Topic: Purchasing an APE - tips?  (Read 2425 times)

Offline Splash

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
Purchasing an APE - tips?
« on: December 29, 2015, 08:29:06 AM »
Hi All,

Just joined the forum in hope of gaining some tips of what to look out for on Punto Evo's. I'm planning on purchasing an APE up to 5 years old and around 40K on the clock. In fact I'm off to test drive a few this week, in the hope I'll be able to kick start the new year in one!

If anything, what should I look out for most with these cars, I understand parts haven't necessarily been uprated and so are prone to wear?

Appreciate your help!

Best
Ash
~595 Competizione 180~

Offline will-w

• 695 Member
  • 'Captain Slow'
    • View Profile
Re: Purchasing an APE - tips?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 08:58:46 AM »
Hi Ash

Firstly, welcome to the club!

What to look out for when buying an APE?  To be honest there isn't a lot that often goes wrong with these cars, at least nothing that is particularly expensive to rectify!

What is your budget, and do you have anything in particular you want? I highly recommend Climate Control (standard on a Supersport). Skydome is nice but you'll lose 1.5" headroom, so not ideal if you're over 6'2"

There were four models of EVO available;
EVO (165bhp)
Supersport (180bhp)
Esseesse (180bhp)
Scorpione (180bhp)

It could be worth you posting pictures/reg of any cars you look at, a member may know the car and can offer advice.

Top Mounts
Both the Grande Punto and EVO suffer from top mount problems. Symptoms include slight knocking from front or rear over uneven or bricked surfaces. Can also manifest itself as lively steering when putting your foot down.
Cost to fix: ~200 (for both fronts)

Drop Links
Not as common as Top Mount problems but still occurs. Symptoms are the same.
Cost to fix: ~15 a corner if you DIY

Things to be aware of but don't usually go wrong::

Multiair unit
These cars are controlled by a single hydroelectric unit on the top of the engine, which replaces one of the camshafts and controls piston movement. It runs on engine oil being circulated and controlled by electronic solenoids. (Very basic and brief explanation but gives you the idea).
Make sure whatever car you look at has service history and details the correct 6,000 mile oil changes. Ensure the correct grade of oil was used (5w40).
Make sure you hear the car on a cold start. They naturally sound a bit tappety but shouldn't sound really loud or tractor like.
Car should pull nicely in all gears. A bit of hesitation at low RPM is normal but not too much.

Gearbox on 'early' cars 2010/2011
Not really something to worry about, more be aware of.
A few early cars had gearbox issues, a lot have been fixed by updating internal components with newer parts.
Be wary of any cars you test which have overly notchy gearboxes. Also listen for loud noises in first or reverse and make sure it doesn't jump out of gear.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 09:01:22 AM by will-w »
Abarth Punto Supersport
Grigio Campovolo, Skydome, Assetto Koni, Floating brakes
Summer: Gunmetal 18" Esseesse with Bridgestone Potenza RE050A
Winter: Official Abarth Winter Kit (17" with Pirelli Sottozero 210)

Offline Splash

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 12:16:16 PM »
Hi Will,

Thanks for the welcome and reply, truly appreciated.

Budget wise I'm looking at spending no more than ~10K & ideally after the Esseesse.

One particular car that caught my eye was this purely based on distance but is a 2011 model so I'll be sure to hear out for gearbox issues and any history suggesting rectification, however I feel this is just too cheap so I'm planning to give it a miss. Image attached, asking 8K. 43K Miles. Full Dealer History.

Thanks for clearing up the top mount and droplink issue, I'm fairly savvy with mechanics in some areas so replacing the droplinks wouldn't be an issue but I'd probably get the garage to do the top mounts, for ease.

Thanks for the summary on the cold start expectations & gearbox, otherwise am I right in thinking these engine and build quality is to a high standard? I haven't read about any particularly nasty issues!

Best
Ash

« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 12:19:34 PM by Splash »
~595 Competizione 180~

FullMetalScorpion

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 09:49:02 PM »
You should also consider a Supersport as they have esseesse power. Personally I would also consider an AGP esseesse as they have the best engine and turbo combination.

Offline captpicard

• 695 Member
  • make it so..
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 02:14:47 PM »
Hi Will,

Thanks for the welcome and reply, truly appreciated.

Budget wise I'm looking at spending no more than ~10K & ideally after the Esseesse.

One particular car that caught my eye was this purely based on distance but is a 2011 model so I'll be sure to hear out for gearbox issues and any history suggesting rectification, however I feel this is just too cheap so I'm planning to give it a miss. Image attached, asking 8K. 43K Miles. Full Dealer History.

Thanks for clearing up the top mount and droplink issue, I'm fairly savvy with mechanics in some areas so replacing the droplinks wouldn't be an issue but I'd probably get the garage to do the top mounts, for ease.

Thanks for the summary on the cold start expectations & gearbox, otherwise am I right in thinking these engine and build quality is to a high standard? I haven't read about any particularly nasty issues!

Best
Ash

I notice from the pic it has a nexen tyre on the front....  I little cheap and cheerful to be honest, might want to change that for a start on a performance car.
Abarth 500c custom(595)Heko's, PIAA DRL's, black mirror caps, smoked indicators, rear/side privacy tints, BMC filter, blackline official rear lights, black front whisker, rear badge, rear boot handle, boot flap mod...

Offline rui

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 05:02:50 PM »
I only read the title but I am sure this is the info you are after.
 :)

http://www.primaterescue.org/the-center-blog/so-you-think-you-want-a-pet-monkey-or-ape

Offline Brian1612

• 695 Member
  • 200 bhp Competizione
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 12:31:10 PM »
Rui :D
---Abarth 595 Competizione Owner---
-Grey Leather Sabelts
-Interscope
-Yellow Brembos
-Engine Remap
-H&R Springs
-12mm & 16mm Spacers
-Mtech Short Shifter
-LED rear lamps
-CF Front Splitter
-CF Dipped Dash
-Yellow Exterior Details (Scuderia Stripes/Scorpions)
-Aluminium Speaker Covers & Plaque