Author Topic: Road trip advice  (Read 2327 times)

Offline Jac

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
Road trip advice
« on: January 06, 2016, 10:27:28 PM »
Hi guys

As the title suggests my girlfriend and I are looking at spending perhaps 10 days in England (as we live in guernsey) taking the 595 with us and making a bit of a road trip of it.

I am no stranger to driving in the UK but have only driven to either my family or hers and Also included a couple of car shows along the way which were all planned within a short space of time, and that was that.

As we now have a little more time we are hoping to drive from poole, where we would get off the boat and hopefully get all the way up to Scotland.  My question to you guys is can anyone recommend some great driving roads on the way up to entertain me in the turismo and some scenic routes to keep my girlfriend happy ? We love the outdoors so any opportunity to hop out and hike or even camp would be great for us !

The ultimate objective is hopefully to get to skye which looks like a lovely place.

Any help, suggestions do's and don'ts would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Offline Brian1612

• 695 Member
  • 200 bhp Competizione
    • View Profile
Re: Road trip advice
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 12:00:32 AM »
The roads around Loch Lomond are excellent and beautiful as well. Lucky to have that on my door step really staying just outside glasgow so when heading north take that route up :)
---Abarth 595 Competizione Owner---
-Grey Leather Sabelts
-Interscope
-Yellow Brembos
-Engine Remap
-H&R Springs
-12mm & 16mm Spacers
-Mtech Short Shifter
-LED rear lamps
-CF Front Splitter
-CF Dipped Dash
-Yellow Exterior Details (Scuderia Stripes/Scorpions)
-Aluminium Speaker Covers & Plaque

Offline Genga

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 04:36:24 PM »
Depending how far up you're going, the A82 is a beautiful road once you get to Crianlarich.

A9 is also good, as long as you don't keep getting stuck behing HGVs, but it does open up to dual carriageways every 10 miles or so.

A favourite road near me is the old Military road, just off the A82 heading towards Coulport. It doesn't really take you anywhere, just a favourite road to blast along when the sun is out. Lots of bikers tend to go along this road too due to the scenery and hilly road.

Only don't I can suggest is not to speed around the built up areas. Currently swarming with undercover police cars, mainly black & silver Audis with registration plates beginning with "SF", but I've learned of an A5 they're going about with a private plate. They used to have a blue Focus ST, which they once tried to goad me into a race with them when I had my Type-R.

Also, if you happen to travel the A90 to/from Aberdeen, there are speed cameras literally every 5 miles, and while it is a beautiful road, very flat and well maintained, a lot of drivers like to slow down to 50 as they pass the cameras, which makes it more than a nuisance.

Other than that, hope you have a great trip, and you catch one of the 12 days of the year when it doesn't rain!

Offline Brian1612

• 695 Member
  • 200 bhp Competizione
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 04:39:14 PM »
That road to Aberdeen is a bloody joke. Road is almost perfectly straight too. attempt for the polizia as per usual.
-Grey Leather Sabelts
-Interscope
-Yellow Brembos
-Engine Remap
-H&R Springs
-12mm & 16mm Spacers
-Mtech Short Shifter
-LED rear lamps
-CF Front Splitter
-CF Dipped Dash

Offline Genga

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 04:40:48 PM »
Up and down it a couple times a year when I'm away seeing my Brother. Not had any hassle, other than the previously mentioned drivers :(

Offline Jac

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 06:25:03 PM »
Thanks Genga for your advice, I was looking at the A82 which seems to be the most reasonable road for heading to Skye so I think that's on the list, as previously recommended it looks as if this road goes through Glasgow so the roads by loch Lomond should be easy to pass through to enjoy that, where I'm guessing some decent scenery will be about.

If anyone has any recommendations for something a little further south heading North that'd be great, I think the EVO triangle is a little out the way :(

apologies if I'm being rather broad with my geographical areas, my England geography is terrible and living on a 25 sq. mi island it's a little hard to put everything in perspective.

Offline Brian1612

• 695 Member
  • 200 bhp Competizione
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 06:33:18 PM »
Through the west coast of England is very good. Lake district etc!
-Grey Leather Sabelts
-Interscope
-Yellow Brembos
-Engine Remap
-H&R Springs
-12mm & 16mm Spacers
-Mtech Short Shifter
-LED rear lamps
-CF Front Splitter
-CF Dipped Dash

Offline Genga

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 07:19:53 PM »
Keep to the M6?