Author Topic: New abarth running in??  (Read 1127 times)

Offline Tat2d_abarth

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: Fa66epk
New abarth running in??
« on: March 10, 2017, 07:51:20 PM »
Does anyone know how many miles I should do to run the car in before I can hammer it abit ??

Cheers

Offline Willmeek

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
Re: New abarth running in??
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 10:28:43 PM »
I asked this question when I bought mine ....was told they don't need run in now ....
How ever I was told to drive it different speeds and mode until 500 miles

Offline Richard H

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: LL16 PXK
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 09:48:18 AM »
Manufacturing tolerances these days mean that you don't have to wear anything in.

You don't need to run it in as such.

I'm on my third and haven't had to run in at all.

Always let it warm up before pressing on and it'll be fine.

Some people change the oil & filter after a thousand or so miles, I never have, but it does get changed on a regular basis

Don't red line until you've done a few miles, but apart from that just drive it!

Offline Tat2d_abarth

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 10:19:06 AM »
Cheers Richard H and willmeek 👍🏻

Offline Abarth 595 Competizione

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 12:50:11 PM »
Hi.

We don't need to run the cars in now, we used to have to years ago, but not now. A certain amount of this is done in production now and changes in technology have made this a thing of the past.

However, as the others have said, it's not so much about how many miles as such, it's about letting everything get warmed up and well lubricated first.

It's going to do more harm than good if you drive it aggressively from cold rather than wait and let it get warmed up first. That way everything is at temperature and the oil is running round everywhere so it's protecting it better.

Oh, and for the price of the stuff, make sure you have at least two oil and oil filter changes per year. The cooling system would benefit from a change and flush every year or so too, I change the thermostat in mine when I do it too.

I do the same with the plugs as well. Obviously some may say it's silly to do this, but I have been doing this with ALL of my cars starting from my first Mini through to my Stag and Range Rovers too.

In fact I have received compliments from mechanics on how well the engines have been looked after when they have taken the side off for the timing chain or timing belt changes.

I'm the same with the petrol too, I use the good stuff, not the cheap.

It's your car and your money, so it's ultimately up to you, but, I feel that doing things in the way I have described above then you will be taking care of your car which in turn will mean fewer problems in the future and it won't let you down.

I hope this is of some help to you.
The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Offline The Mekon

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: LT17WBX
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 10:17:33 AM »
With modern oils, wear and tear isn't like it used to be back in the 60's and 70's when "running in" a new engine and drivetrain was a necessity to ensure long life..
That said, I wouldn't recommend driving it continuously like a lunatic right out of  the box.
Having owned several high performance cars over the years including several M5's, a couple of TVR's and a couple of Lotus's.
I always balanced normal driving with a good caning for half an hour on a weekly basis until I had a thousand miles on the clock and I never had any issues at all. Even my E60 M5 which was reckoned to use a fair quantity of oil never needed more than half a litre every 5000 miles.
This was all down to advice given to me by a well respected guy who used to build race engines when British touring cars used to run 2 littre 500 bhp Cosworth lumps where they used to adopt this practice but ran the engines up to a thousand miles on a Dyno.
I'm using this same approach on the road on my brand new 595 Comp which to date has covered 75 miles and I don't see any reason to do any different.

Offline Tat2d_abarth

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 05:54:29 PM »
Cheers the mekon and abarth 595 competizione 👍🏻👍🏻

Offline Bigboy

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2017, 08:51:20 AM »
Hi can I ask best petrol momentum or shell nitro  both 99 octane, cheers.

Offline X8GHD

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: TBA
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2017, 01:08:46 PM »
Hi ,
 As has been stated above just give it a bit of variety to start with and make sure you are warmed up before giving it the beans. Go easy on the brakes and tires for the first 500 miles while they bed in. Enjoy!

Offline Funky Spike

• Abarth Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2017, 06:50:23 PM »
I'm pretty sure it even says in the handbook about not giving it the beans until everything is warmed up.

Spike

Offline Dan.Dawson

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: S19 DWD
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2017, 08:49:24 AM »
Been told to keep under 4k revs and no sport mode for the first 400 miles by the garage I bought the car from. Obviously keeping it easy on the brakes and tyres too.

My first ever new car so I am sticking to what they say  ;D
Abarth 500 (Bossa Nova White) --> Abarth 595 Comp Series 3 (Record Grey) --> Abarth 595 Comp Series 4 (Abarth Red).

Offline Fish

• 695 Member
  • 595 Comp
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2017, 02:34:18 PM »
I kept it sensible for the first few hundred, increasing the rpm's, after 500 miles I started giving it some boost.

The old school rule is drive it hard from new and it will give you power, run it in gently and it won't leak at much. ;)

Fish

Offline Shorts

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2017, 04:58:38 PM »
thanks for the tips i pick my new one up at the weekend and it has only done 20 miles