Author Topic: Top Gear  (Read 514 times)

Offline rsk289

• Abarth Novice
    • View Profile
Top Gear
« on: March 21, 2017, 02:40:18 PM »
Well, the idiots on Top Gear clearly didn't get it!  I guess they've got too used to 600 brake Mercs and Astons to appreciate small, lightweight quality.

Went to the GRRC Members' Meeting on Sunday, parked my red one a few cars away from a white one, also with a private plate.  Should have got them together!
Good day's racing, a bit cold, but my Cobra mate was well and truly beaten by a TVR.  Another was running the Ecurie Ecosse Lister Jag in the AS-B trophy, did OK.

Roger
'68 Cooper S, '68 Mustang GT fastback, '01 M Coupé, '65 AC Cobra 289, '68 Land Rover 88" Station Wagon, '67 2CV van... and now, '16 124 Spider

Offline Richard H

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: LL16 PXK
Re: Top Gear
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 08:18:33 PM »
It was an American spec one, Abarth badges on the outside and FIAT one on the steering wheel.

Le Blanc could not be sure if it was a FIAT or an Abarth, made it confusing. That's Abarth USA marketing for you.

He was just plain wrong about the engine, but has the US version got a different laggy MAP?

Unless you know what Abarth is, then it was confused.

Not the best,  review, everyone else who drives it likes it...

Offline rsk289

• Abarth Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 11:18:24 PM »
That would make sense, Richard - as he was driving I thought 'that doesn't sound like mine'.  I don't think the US-spec cars have the Record Monza exhaust, do they?  Sounded very tame to me.  The R&T review also says it has the Fiat 160 brake engine rather than the 170, so it seems TG weren't testing what you can buy in the UK anyway.
'68 Cooper S, '68 Mustang GT fastback, '01 M Coupé, '65 AC Cobra 289, '68 Land Rover 88" Station Wagon, '67 2CV van... and now, '16 124 Spider

Offline edzed

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 11:37:37 AM »
Well, the idiots on Top Gear clearly didn't get it!  I guess they've got too used to 600 brake Mercs and Astons to appreciate small, lightweight quality.

Went to the GRRC Members' Meeting on Sunday, parked my red one a few cars away from a white one, also with a private plate.  Should have got them together!
Good day's racing, a bit cold, but my Cobra mate was well and truly beaten by a TVR.  Another was running the Ecurie Ecosse Lister Jag in the AS-B trophy, did OK.

Roger

That might have been mine Roger, my plate is YUC 52. Shows how unobservant I am if you were parked near me as I missed yours completely!

Offline Colin

• Events Manager
  • 695 Member
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: RX65URG
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 07:29:42 PM »
The write up in this week's Autocar is far more positive........ not something they often are about Italian cars other than Ferrari! 
Abarth 595 Competizione 180: Cordolo Red: Red Leather Sabelts: Skydome

It replaced: 

Abarth 500 NP: Pasadoble Red: Red Leather: SkyDome: Climate: 17" Petals

Offline rsk289

• Abarth Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 10:55:32 PM »

Roger

That might have been mine Roger, my plate is YUC 52. Shows how unobservant I am if you were parked near me as I missed yours completely!

Yes it was - I was about two rows further away from the circuit so no reason why you should have spotted me!

Offline NickhRN

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 07:48:51 PM »
I was flatly disappointed in the review. Spotted the half-arsed branding early on and realised it was a US Market version. I think with all of the hype behind the Grand Tour, that more people would've seen Hammond's review and loved it. Fingers crossed!
Ironically the UK spec car was on TG right at the very end in the studio! I'd be surprised if the other two presenters even drove it! It makes you think what the intention was in the first place... Did Fiat  invite the BBC to LA to test drive a new Italian Sportscar? I think not. No way would a European manufacturer do that when we have perfect roads and tracks in Europe! It's almost like the producers decided to be controversial and came up with the whole "fake" concept before driving it!

Offline rsk289

• Abarth Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 11:11:02 PM »
Indeed.  I'd certainly take Autocar's opinion way ahead of Matt LeBlanc's.  I'm not convinced he knows much about cars at all.
I've had a lot of positive comment and reaction out and about.  For example, just as we were approaching Goodwood last Sunday I had to slot in amongst a bunch of MAMILs out for a ride.  The one behind came up really close and shouted (top was down, of course) 'you're a very lucky man!  Gorgeous car!' - which was nice.  Then he said, 'I'd rather have an original, though...'  I think that still counts as a positive, on balance.

Offline CJ

• 695 Member
  • Dino Abartho
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: DN10WMV
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2017, 10:47:28 PM »
I'm not convinced any of the TG team know about cars! And why test the 124 in the States? Le Blanc is an entertainer, Harris seems to only enjoy going sideways, Reid is bordering on hysterical & the joker of the trio.

Most would rather have the original car because its older not necessarily because its any better, they done well with the new 124 as with the 500 and... dare i say it the Mini  ;D
2010 RossoSfr Essesse~ATM Intercooler~FORGE Intake Actuator BOV~Powermotive CAT Back Exhaust~HPSI Hoses~Bluespark~MTEC SS~PC680 Lightweight Battery~AP Coilovers~5F/10R Spacers~17x7 EC SanremoCorse

Offline rsk289

• Abarth Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2017, 12:30:29 AM »
I'm not convinced any of the TG team know about cars! And why test the 124 in the States? Le Blanc is an entertainer, Harris seems to only enjoy going sideways, Reid is bordering on hysterical & the joker of the trio.

Most would rather have the original car because its older not necessarily because its any better, they done well with the new 124 as with the 500 and... dare i say it the Mini  ;D

Nah - my daughter has a BMW Maxi (sorry, a new Mini) which I have driven a lot - and it never comes close to making me smile like my 100bhp '68 Cooper S does.  Nothing makes you smile like a hot old Mini.