Author Topic: Scratches on brand new car  (Read 899 times)

Offline Pav90

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
Scratches on brand new car
« on: April 24, 2017, 05:07:29 PM »
Hi everyone,

Just picked up my first Abarth today. A brand new 595 comp in podium blue. Standard spec as it's a runaround and wanted it as cheap as possible. Had a great drive home from the garage :)

Firstly I didn't feel the exhaust was quite as loud as the Internet had led me to believe, does it get louder as it runs in or am I just used to loud cars? Also it says dual mode, does this mean the valve is opened by the sport button as I understood it opened with exhaust pressures. It's not really crackling/popping at all! I have got underneath and the spring is fine and I can move the arm that's attached to the spring quite easily.

Secondly, I just want your opinion on these scratches. I do keep my cars swirl-free with an OCD washing routine. I've got back home and once he rain stopped had a good look around the car. It's littered with scratches and even a big chunk out of the paint on one of the side skirts. I don't think I'm being fussy by being a bit upset by this?? I've attached pics, please let me know what you think!

Thank you in advance.

Offline Fish

• 695 Member
  • 595 Comp
    • View Profile
Re: Scratches on brand new car
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 05:19:05 PM »
Congrats on the comp Pav, the exhaust will get louder over time for two reasons, you'll be enjoying more of the rev range/full throttle and it will coke up some. Nothing to worry about. You'll not get the crackles and pops that the older Euro5 cars had as they've adjusted the fuelling to cut down on the fun bits.

If these scratches are on a car you've literally just collected contact the dealer asap. It might mean a trip back to them but better than having to pay to get it sorted yourself. Otherwise you'll need to contact a pro detailer and get them to see what they can do.

Fish

Offline Pav90

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 05:22:05 PM »
Thanks for the quick response mate! I've emailed the photos across so will wait to hear what they say, it's a shame as I am quite particular and don't want the expense of a detailer to sort out someone else's mistakes!

Shame about the less pops and crackles but I'll look forward to hearing the exhaust improve over time.

Thanks again mate

Offline Cordolo595

• Abarth Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 09:00:14 PM »
You're definitely not being fussy.

Tricky one though, I would not be convinced they have the skills to rectify the issue, theres a very high chance they were caused by the preparation 'valeter' in the first place. Don't really want anyone to attack it with T-Cut or something I wouldn't of thought.

I wasn't happy with the preparation on my car when new and took it to a detailer, does look like yours is quite a bit worse.

Definitely agree you should be left out of pocket, so hopefully a solution can be found with them.
Cordolo Red Competizione 180. AKA Enzo.

Offline 595Record

• Abarth Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 09:16:05 PM »
That's the problem. If the dealer hasn't got the skills or pride in their work to present you with a scratch/swirl free brand new car in the first place, I doubt they'll be any good at fixing it afterwards.

I would insist that it is taken to a professional detailer at the dealer's expense. There is no excuse for handing over a relatively expensive car in that condition.

Offline Pav90

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 07:28:56 AM »
I hadn't even thought about letting them
Fix it when they caused it in the first place. That's a good point. Think I'll have to insist that they send it to a professional!

Offline X8GHD

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: TBA
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 10:33:58 AM »
Hi Folks,
 I'm afraid MOST car dealers will do this during the PDI. It's unfortunate that podium blue which is one of my favourite Abarth colours will show these small scratches more than others. Your dealer is unlikely to have the expertise in house to make good as it needs a first stage machine polish by a detailer. So I would recommend that you look up a car detailer in your area and get a quote for them  to sort out the dealers handy work and get them to pay for it and then maybe for your benefit get them to quote you for nano coating the car to protect the clear coat going forward.
 I had my Abarth protected from new and if you go online and go into ultimate finish Abarth Competizione new car detail you will see what I had done. I did not let the dealer touch it.
Hope this helps,
GD

Offline Tommyb

• Abarth Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 10:49:31 AM »
Hi, thought I'd chime in...

I recently brought a 595 comp series 3 with 6,000 miles on, same as you I like my paint to be swirl free etc. I asked them not to wash it so I could give it a good going over when it was home, I took it home (it was covered in mud and dust) gave it a quick rinse off and the paintwork had scratches all over, stone chipped on every panel look like 100k motorway mileage paint, every panel was scuffed or chipped . I took it back and they resprayed the entire car for me. (We suspect the previous owner used some sort of coating to hide the damage)

Aftercare at Abarth dealers seems to be pretty good.

Offline Pav90

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 08:14:47 AM »
It's a shame because podium blue is a gorgeous colour but anything metallic and blue always shows up every scratch! Thanks for all your help, I've contacted the garage who were very apologetic. It's going back next week for them to review it and they promise they'll have it sorted for me. I'll give them a chance to sort it and worst case scenario I'll insist on a professional detail if they can't. Thanks again!

Offline HWK 114

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2017, 10:41:40 AM »
Get it detailed. The best 350 I spent to get ride of the swirl marks on a new car. My detailer even found a smart repair where my new car had possibly got some damage in transit or in the dealers yard. They don't have to tell you if the damage is minimal. After having it detailed you'll enjoy washing it.  As for the pops and bangs the guys are right that Euro 6 doesn't give as good as the Euro 5. Just wire open that valve like we all do and enjoy!  ;)
200+ Competizione, circuit grey, yellow callipers, Sabelt black leather, Forge Induction, Forge FMIC, JFA Stage 1, Bilstein B14/16 Coliovers, 12/16mm Reparto Corse Spacers, Biposto Hood.