Author Topic: Going thru the change.  (Read 322 times)

Offline buckwits

• Abarth Professional
    • View Profile
Going thru the change.
« on: August 25, 2017, 10:00:52 PM »
Hi all, been a member of this most excellent group of people for 30 months now after buying my first Abarth, 595 comp. I was contemplating defecting to the dark side buy getting a new Type R Civic. However lack of common sense prevailed and I am now strongly drawn to the 124. I would guess at least 1 person here has moved from a comp to a 124. I would appreciate any thoughts, good or bad. My comp is slightly moded and is the most fun car ever. Is the 124 as easy to mod? Any pit falls to look out for? Thanks in advance. Lee.

Offline jenniferlouise

• 695 Member
    • View Profile
Re: Going thru the change.
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 12:53:45 PM »
Thank god you didn't buckle and defect to the technical marvel of Japanese engineering and want to stay with the Italian rattles and passion 😉 In truth, as you'll know, the 124 is 90% Mazda so one could argue you'll get best of both. There are a few members who've moved from A500 to Spider. I know Bertie loves his. The options from Abarth appear minimal presently but others on here may be able to advise on what could be improved. Just a personal thing; I'd have the single-option alloys off for something more dynamic looking (that said, we declined a spider for a third A500 [695] instead)
Abarth history : 2014 595C Turismo Scorpione Black I 2016 595C Turismo Podium Blue I 2017 695C Yamaha XSR Circuit Grey #035 🦂 & Yamaha Tricity MW125 scooter 😎

Offline buckwits

• Abarth Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 09:13:36 PM »
Thanks JL,  I never thought I would stray from the Japanese path, after years of Toyota, Nissan and Honda, but since I was bitten by the Italian bug I am smitten! There is no logical reason not to buy the Civic. You buy a car with your heart not your head! I shall be visiting my local Abarth dealer this week to thrash out a deal.

Offline Ian M

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 11:44:24 PM »
There is no logical reason not to buy the Civic.

Apart from the fact that it's an absolute minger

First post on this forum, hope it's not too controversial

Offline StevieJ

• Abarth Novice
  • Instagram @steviej_abarth
    • View Profile
    • Abarth Owners Club South East
  • Registration Number: SJ07 JAY
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 09:07:07 AM »
No that's not controversial - the Type R is a monstrosity.
Series 4 Comp - 206bhp & 276ftlb, BMC OTA , Forge BOV & intake, Power Motive exhaust, Bilstein B14's, 12&16mm spacers, DNA rear brace, camber plates, lateral tie rods, MTech, Mishimoto can, Defi boost gauge, wearelikewise shifter, GTT batt cover, red speaker grills, matt black roof & spoiler wrap

Offline Colin

• Events Manager
  • 695 Member
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: RX65URG
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2017, 06:55:24 PM »
No that's not controversial - the Type R is a monstrosity.
I agree.

It is notable that the UK press, who usually refrain from passing comments on a car's appearance have all castigated this one, and declared that it really is visually very challenging (even the non Type R is)........... I know a few people will like it (though I've not any of them yet!), but to everyone else, no matter how good it is to drive (and by all accounts, it is pretty good), I just could not live with that styling mess. 
Abarth 595 Competizione 180: Cordolo Red: Red Leather Sabelts: Skydome

It replaced: 

Abarth 500 NP: Pasadoble Red: Red Leather: SkyDome: Climate: 17" Petals

Offline buckwits

• Abarth Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2017, 09:53:56 PM »
Doesn't bother anyone that Evo magazine says that it is the best hot hatch ever made? Eye of the beholder and all that. Personally I think that the rear of the car is its best feature, 3 exhausts and that, and being as that is the view most people will be getting! Anyway my 124 will be here this Friday so I shant dwell on what may have been.

Offline 595girlie

• 695 Member
  • Hanging out the washing is a dangerous sport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 11:11:34 AM »
Lee! You've swapped the little beasty! How are you finding the 124?
I've been comp-less almost a year now and miss it rotten! I get jealous every time I see them on the road. But the ST is very much a mum wagon and wouldn't have wanted that for the Abarth.
595 Competizione | Campovolo Grey | Red Mirrors | Side Stripes | Chequered Roof | Red Leather Sabelts | Interscope | Heko Wind Deflectors | Forge Induction Hose | Novitec Lowering Springs | Airtec FMIC | Milltek Turbo Back Exhaust | Forge Actuator | IHI Hybrid Turbo | ProAlfa Remap

Offline buckwits

• Abarth Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2017, 09:08:29 AM »
Hi Clare! Good to hear from you again. To be honest I wasn't really ready to give up the 595, but between us my eldest son and me do about 7000 miles a year, neither of us drive to work so it made sense to get 1 car between us, the Spider was my sons idea. It doesn't feel as fast as the Comp, even though it is, it has the garrett turbo so the tuning possibilities are not as limited, just bought a BGM oval induction kit and with a stage 1 remap should easily be well into the 200bhps. Just got back from the Yorkshire dales, there are some epic roads up there! I can say that without doubt it is the most comfortable car I have ever driven, just needs a little bit more power, as did the 595 when I got it. What colour is the ST? I will keep an eye out when im in Wickford.