Author Topic: Cleaning.  (Read 81 times)

Offline buckwits

• Abarth Professional
    • View Profile
Cleaning.
« on: October 09, 2017, 07:49:43 PM »
Hi all, just got my 124 and it has the heritage pack with matt black bonnet and boot. Are there any dos and don'ts when cleaning/waxing? Also its my first soft top, are there any products for cleaning/preserving the hood?

Offline rsk289

• Abarth Novice
    • View Profile
Re: Cleaning.
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 08:18:16 AM »
Having investigated the black bits on my car as carefully as I dare with a scalpel on the hidden bits, it seems that the bootlid is painted matt (actually more satin) black whilst the bonnet, which is two colours, is a vinyl wrap.
Basically, the rule is DO NOT use wax on the matt black bits unless you want them to start shining up more.  Care advice for matt-finish wraps generally says that using a wax polish or a wax shampoo will remove the matt effect, which is common sense really.  I use a wax-free shampoo, double-bucket, then dry off with the towel, and wax the red bits. 
For the hood, just use the same shampoo and try to keep the more solid crud out of the drain channel around the base.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 08:19:49 AM by rsk289 »
'68 Cooper S, '68 Mustang GT fastback, '01 M Coupé, '65 AC Cobra 289, '68 Land Rover 88" Station Wagon, '67 2CV van... and now, '16 124 Spider

Offline buckwits

• Abarth Professional
    • View Profile
Re: Cleaning.
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 07:04:54 PM »
Excellent stuff, thanks taking the time.