Author Topic: Vet potential purchase  (Read 154 times)

Offline Otispunkmeyer

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
Vet potential purchase
« on: October 14, 2017, 11:13:32 PM »
Hi all

Very much looking forward to becoming part of the Abarth community... As soon as I get my hands on one! I visited a dealer today to have a look at a 65 plate Turismo. Having done research, the Turismo seemed like the best compromise in the range. However, the same dealer had this parked behind it:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201710060020980?sort=distance&model=595&make=ABARTH&year-from=2014&radius=1500&advertising-location=at_cars&aggregatedTrim=Competizione&postcode=le126jl&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&page=1

Its a 64 plate (2015) Competizione and its 2k cheaper than the Turismo. I did like the Turismo (I drove it and I only sat in the Comp). But the Record Monza on the comp instantly made me grin like a fool and I thought the Sabelt seats were a better match for my skinny but long torso (the normal leather seats shoulder ridge was like have way down my back!). Plus cloth > leather.

Now, points of contention:

1) This particular comp is a 160 hp version (the 180's came later in the year).
2) Its grey
3) Its done 60,000 miles in < 3 years.

However...

1) The Turismo I drove has the same engine (or has the same power at least) and I thought that was plenty for the dual carriage way I test drove on. It'll likely be a better bet for the country lanes I will be mostly riding on. (I heard the 180 is a bit more frenetic).

2) The Turismo was grey too. Seems to be very few Abarths in jazzy colours. The blue is rare, as are the Bicolore paints. Lots of grey, white and red. At least this particular comp has red stickers!

3) The mileage doesn't worry me unduly (I've run plenty of leggy cars in the past). The previous owner appears to have been fastidious in looking after it. Serviced 2 x a year, good quality rubber (with lots of tread depth), loads of life in the discs (minimal lip on the fronts, none on the rears). Interior was in great shape, you wouldn't know!  So its been looked after... apparently said owner bought a Biposto to replace it.

Its got a few stone chips and some light kerbing on the wheels, but nothing serious and actually, I expected way worse for such miles. It'll be getting plenty more, so not worried.

So, is that a decent car? Should I go for it or wait... there is a red comp 180 closer to home but its nearly 13k. But its only done 12k miles and obviously carries better items such as the Brembo brakes and stainless version of the Monza. If scare stories are right, the mild-steel version on the grey comp here is probably about ripe for rotting through!

Finally, I don't propose this car to be a long term prospect. I may run it for a year, maybe 2 (he says)....before moving on (he says)....

Offline fpan

• Abarth Professional
    • View Profile
Re: Vet potential purchase
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 11:45:52 AM »
I like it but worth having a look at mine in the for sale section, too ;)

Offline Otispunkmeyer

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 12:44:08 PM »
ha! yours does look very nice...depends where you are based though!

Offline fpan

• Abarth Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 02:14:42 PM »
ha! yours does look very nice...depends where you are based though!

Berkshire.

Offline Neil R

• Abarth Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 08:08:18 PM »
If its anywhere within travelling distance, check out Rockingham Cars Northhampton......
2014 Turismo  11.5k    under 12,000 miles ....They have a couple for sale at similar prices.
Just gives you a choice, hope it helps.
Neil.
Abarth 695 XSR Yamaha Limited Edition. Kit Elaborazione.
Carbon Gear stick, Carbon Sill Plates .Smoked Wind Deflectors.

Offline Otispunkmeyer

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2017, 08:46:31 PM »
Thanks Neil, will take a look. They have two. One in the two-tone which is quite nice. I note these have HID lamps up front and do not feature the TFT instruments... its hard work keeping up with what trim got what and when!

Offline Neil R

• Abarth Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2017, 08:53:08 PM »
If you contact Rockingham , ask to speak to Alec Pun , he`s the sales manager there.........Tell him  Neil said to look after you.
I`ve had 3 Abarths from them , and cant fault them .
Neil .
Abarth 695 XSR Yamaha Limited Edition. Kit Elaborazione.
Carbon Gear stick, Carbon Sill Plates .Smoked Wind Deflectors.