Author Topic: Total shut down!  (Read 222 times)

Offline superfurrynads

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: LK63KMF
Total shut down!
« on: November 06, 2017, 02:44:00 PM »
Hi all. This is my first post so hello!

Apologies if this is a repeat post, I have searched the forum for the problem and I can't find anything anywhere (not just here).

Basically I drove for about a mile with the engine managment light on and the car sounding funny, bit raspy, when I stopped all the lights went out on the dash the engine cut out and the car has completely died! Nothing works, any ideas?

Normally if the local dealer was any good I would phone them first but they have been total pains with this car and my Alfa so they are a last resort. The car is a 595 CC with the selespeed gearbox, 63 plate.

Best car I've ever owned even broken down :)

Please help!

Offline als 180

• Abarth Novice
    • View Profile
Re: Total shut down!
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 03:14:06 PM »
Have you checked the battery.

Offline superfurrynads

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 03:19:54 PM »
Hi als,

No I haven't, didn't really occur to me as it started and hasn't shown any signs of going flat. Will do though.

Offline FRZ

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: FRZ 595
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 05:03:00 PM »
Not quite the same but I had similar issue with my 16 plate 595c comp a few months ago. Popped round to the local supermarket and all was fine. Went to go home and the car was completely dead, nothing worked. A quick look under the bonnet and noticed the quick release on the neg battery terminal had come undone, clicked it back and all was fine again. If yours is completely dead it's more than likely a battery problem.
2016 595c Competizione 180 | Campovolo Grey | Series 4

Offline als 180

• Abarth Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 05:48:12 PM »
As FRZ has said, parked on drive and our abarth was dead, checked and it was battery terminal had came undone.

Offline benjamin_t_monkey

• Barely Abarth
  • 189 of 695 Abarth 695 XSR
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 08:15:34 PM »

I'll also throw in and say battery, modern cars (not just Abarth) can be very touchy with battery and it's my first go to area for a problem like this.

Just wanted to say I feel your pain with Abarth dealers. Mine has been an utter pain and it's made me question if I'll buy another Abarth after this one (don't get me wrong I love the car itself). I'm on my 2nd Abarth with them and they've been awful over a number of issues on both cars that have left me exasperated.

You know when you have to ask yourself "am I being difficult here? Am I being unreasonable expecting an answered email or returned call after 6 promises that they would to just simply sort out a car that was  scratched on their forecourt before I'd even been given the keys?". They screwed up my keys on my 595, screwed up the Elaborazione upgrade on my 695 and it's taken them 2 months to finally book in the car to fix the scratch and ripped side stripe they put in it before I'd even seen the car.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 08:19:38 PM by benjamin_t_monkey »
189 of 695 Abarth 695 XSR

- Garrett Turbo
  - Eibach springs
  - Akrapovic  exhaust
  - BMC filter
  - Kit Elaborazione
    - 180bhp
    - Koni damping
    - Brembo front calipers, drilled front and rear discs

Offline Neil R

• Abarth Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 09:04:25 PM »
Hi Guys,
It`s  a shame about the Dealeship problems your having. I can only say not all Dealerships are the same.
Don`t let them spoil the enjoyment of the car.  Best advice i can give, is to contact Abarth Customers Services directly and enlist their help in solving your problems.
Neil.
Abarth 695 XSR Yamaha Limited Edition. Kit Elaborazione.
Carbon Gear stick, Carbon Sill Plates .Smoked Wind Deflectors.

Offline superfurrynads

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 10:26:55 PM »
Thanks folks.

Just checked the battery connections and it's all good, but when I pulled the negative off and touched it to the battery terminal I didn't get a spark so it does suggest the battery is wiped out! I don't have a set of jump leads handy tonight and the Guilietta battery is too big to try. I've never had a battery completely die before, I will be over the moon if it is that.

On the dealer situation, I love Italian cars, I can put up with a lot of faults for the sake of a bit of passion and style. I've had it with the dealers, I've visited a few as well, I live in Devon, but I bought a Mito in Yorkshire, an Abarth in London and a Guilietta in Northampton. It was insulting the way we were treated trying to buy these cars locally so it should not have been a surprise that the service we received with the recalls and minor problems we have had has been dogs**t.

I did see a new red Abarth the other day that looked fantastic though! Well tempted.

It's worth pointing out also that the cars have all been awesome, far better than the motoring press would lead you to believe.

Offline superfurrynads

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 10:02:36 AM »
It was the battery! They just die now apparently no slow death like the old days.

Offline Neil R

• Abarth Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2017, 10:10:34 AM »
Good to know its all sorted now, the joys of modern technology...... :) :)
What was the red Abarth you saw recently......?       tempted enough to change..?
Neil.

Offline superfurrynads

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2017, 12:00:34 PM »
Thanks Neil,

New battery was 70 was delivered within an hour to a local garage. Guy behind the counter was an Uno turbo fan. Spent longer talking Italian cars than it took to sort out.

The red one was a UK car in Northern France, not a high spec but the bright red looked great with the black wheels and trims. My cars a MTA which I love but I do fancy a manual, my Alfa is a twin clutch but I prefer the gearbox in the Abarth even though it's slower on full power. I would be even more tempted if I didn't have to visit a dealer and go through all the chit chat!

What colour is your Yamaha mate?

Offline Neil R

• Abarth Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2017, 12:14:02 PM »
I know what you mean about chit chat with some dealers,
I`ve stuck with Rockingham cars for my last 3 Abarths, Alec the sales manger there is great to deal with.
The Yamaha XSR only comes in one colour ,,, Grey
Neil.

Offline superfurrynads

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2017, 12:19:19 PM »
That is nice, looks good with the red Abarth!

Offline Neil R

• Abarth Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2017, 12:24:47 PM »
It`s a great car to drive, packs a real punch with the 180 bhp upgrade . It feels much more positive to drive than my previous 160 comp.
Book a test drive and try one out.
Neil.

Offline superfurrynads

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2017, 12:29:43 PM »
Please don't encourage me! Looking on the website now!