Author Topic: How Long Do You keep Your Cars  (Read 771 times)

Offline Geoffxb

• Abarth Professional
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: XXI5984
How Long Do You keep Your Cars
« on: October 11, 2018, 05:11:55 PM »
I was wondering how often do people here change there cars I tend to keep mine for years ,I had my VXT for 13 years and my car before that was 7 years  but they wasn't my everyday cars ,my spider is just over a year old now and its just a weekend car really and im in my 60s now so maybe this will be my last weekend car.

Geoff
Super Duper spider

Offline HarrierJint

• Abarth Enthusiast
  • 189 of 695 Abarth 695 XSR
    • View Profile
Re: How Long Do You keep Your Cars
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 08:19:21 AM »
Will keep this another year I think. Iíve bounced around ideas for other cars but I think Iíll be going back to Lotus and going for a Elise 250 Cup. I donít not love my Abarth (I very much do love it) I just have an itch to scratch, if I got 18k for the Abarth right now Iíd probably take it.
189 of 695 Abarth 695 XSR

- Garrett Turbo
  - Eibach springs
  - Akrapovic  exhaust
  - BMC filter
  - Kit Elaborazione
    - 180bhp
    - Koni damping
    - Brembo front calipers, drilled front and rear discs
    - FERODO HP 1000 brake pads

Offline Richard H

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: LL16 PXK
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2018, 08:30:31 AM »
So far, I've changed every two years because I've been getting a deal where my overall costs have gone down!

However, I want a bigger car next time, another Alfa, so I may have to wait three years plus a bit to get to the point when I can afford a Giulia any Alfa

Offline Geoffxb

• Abarth Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2018, 09:53:02 AM »
Yes a ot of people do change there cars every couple of years I must be a strange one keeping mine so long
Super Duper spider

Offline Andy595

• Abarth Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2018, 10:40:25 AM »
Abarth had an offer when we first got one a few years back, pay @ half on delivery, the 2nd half on the second anniversary, the 2 year period is interest free. If we didn't want to keep the car we could just hand it back.

The deal has worked in our favour twice now, the PX value being higher than the balance outstanding so was easy to change with costs reducing each time.

We now have the XSR and don't mind the thought of keeping him longer term, but decision time looms in June!!!

Andy

Offline Richard H

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: LL16 PXK
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2018, 02:09:58 PM »
Yes a ot of people do change there cars every couple of years I must be a strange one keeping mine so long

Kept the last Alfa, a 147, for eight years, then a 500 Twinair that was written off after six months, then a string of Abarths...

The problem with modern cars is that they're too complex; all the connectivity we don't need and many other things.  They're the things that will kill the car when they get to be older.

The appeal of the Abarths is that they're in many ways old school, relatively simple, not so complex and I think that is the appeal of the range.

Of the current crop of cars on the market, a 500/595 is one that will look good, even in old age, because they haven't felt the need to refresh every ten minutes, although there have been many improvements over the years and its relative lack of complexity is likely to make an Abarth a good reliable long term option

Offline Geoffxb

• Abarth Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2018, 03:40:48 PM »
Well as I said before im 63 now and my spider is only a summer cat in fact my VXT I had for 13 years only had 13500 miles on the clock so I will be sticking to my 124 now
Super Duper spider

Offline HarrierJint

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2018, 06:11:04 PM »
Abarth had an offer when we first got one a few years back, pay @ half on delivery, the 2nd half on the second anniversary, the 2 year period is interest free. If we didn't want to keep the car we could just hand it back.

The deal has worked in our favour twice now, the PX value being higher than the balance outstanding so was easy to change with costs reducing each time.

We now have the XSR and don't mind the thought of keeping him longer term, but decision time looms in June!!!

Andy

Lotus currently do this type of 50/50 deal (0% apr). It makes a new Elise very tempting rather than waiting for the right second hand one.
Currently looking at buying a Cup 250 Elise to replace the Abarth with but I can wait so I don't have to take a hit on the Abarth.

I could sell it privately and probably get the money I need to clear the finance but I don't think I can be bothered to put myself through that right now, nothing wrong with my XSR, I love it. So I'm not really in a bad place at all.

- Garrett Turbo
  - Eibach springs
  - Akrapovic  exhaust
  - BMC filter
  - Kit Elaborazione
    - 180bhp
    - Koni damping

Offline Andy595

• Abarth Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2018, 04:33:05 PM »

Andy

Lotus currently do this type of 50/50 deal (0% apr). It makes a new Elise very tempting rather than waiting for the right second hand one.
Currently looking at buying a Cup 250 Elise to replace the Abarth with but I can wait so I don't have to take a hit on the Abarth.

I could sell it privately and probably get the money I need to clear the finance but I don't think I can be bothered to put myself through that right now, nothing wrong with my XSR, I love it. So I'm not really in a bad place at all.

The Lotus does sound tempting with that kind of deal. Trouble is we go away for weekends and require a bit of luggage space for over night bags and walking boots etc. The Abarth is just the right size, the lotus likely to come up well short on that front😁

Andy

Offline HarrierJint

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2018, 08:27:27 PM »

Andy

The Lotus does sound tempting with that kind of deal. Trouble is we go away for weekends and require a bit of luggage space for over night bags and walking boots etc. The Abarth is just the right size, the lotus likely to come up well short on that front😁

Andy

I know what you mean, and there are ways around it but yes luggage space can always be a pain in something like an Elise. I've owned a few Lotus before so I know what I'm letting myself in for but very few cars on the road have the composure and ride quality of a Lotus. The Evora 400 is a good alternative, more expensive though but incredible to drive, I've never driven anything like it. Without a doubt one of the best cars I've ever driven in my life, I'd take it over any supercar.

I had considered something like a Cayman, another option is the new Alpine A110 (which I love) but they just don't have that raw road racer look that the Cup 250 has, it looks like a mini McLaren in person.

All that said, I have kept cars for sometime in the past and would keep my XSR if I didn't have a Lotus itch to scratch. If I had room for two cars I'd have kept the XSR, still might  ;D
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 08:35:07 PM by HarrierJint »

- Garrett Turbo
  - Eibach springs
  - Akrapovic  exhaust
  - BMC filter
  - Kit Elaborazione
    - 180bhp
    - Koni damping