Author Topic: Amber EML on - dirty BMC filter ?  (Read 65 times)

Offline blaird03

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
Amber EML on - dirty BMC filter ?
« on: October 13, 2018, 12:16:24 PM »

I have a 2016 Turismo with 15k on clock.
2nd year service was done by Arnold Clark (spit..) in May.
Now the EML light is on.
I suspect that this is due to the air filter not being cleaned during the service.
Would the EML come on due to a dirty air filter ?

Offline Richard H

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: LL16 PXK
Re: Amber EML on - dirty BMC filter ?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 09:09:44 AM »
Could be that, The Engine Management Light could be a lot of things.

I'd film the air filter being removed and cleaned and if it is dirty, challenge them, however AC have a poor reputation (I hate them just for that awful yellow sticker on seemingly every car in Scotland) and they will probably ignore it because its a while since your service was done.

If I were you, I'd find somewhere else to get it serviced, although that's easier said than done.

If AC is the only place that you can practically take it, do some basic checks, oil, tyre pressures, filter condition, anything you can do easily and film them too. Recheck and film immediately after the next service.

Some people mark service items to see if they've been disturbed or changed, its worth marking the oil filter (photograph it) to see if its been changed (if you can get to it)

Its a sad state of affairs that we feel they can't be trusted, but the best thing it to protect yourself.

Some dealers have started to film removal and replacement of key parts and key service checks, its a shame they don't all do it

Offline blaird03

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 10:41:13 AM »
Car is running fine, maybe a little rich.
I have had many AC issues.
Here is the last episode - I actually had the car booked into an AC branch about 30 miles away.
It was booked in for the EML - I turn up - no booking - are you sure you phoned this branch sir !!!
Had to drive back After wasting my time yet again.
Plan to remove the filter and have a look, I have BMC cleaning kit on order.
AC are a shower of shite :)

Offline Geoffxb

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: XXI5984
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 01:30:32 PM »
i have a 124 Abarth and to be honest i don't really trust main dealers i had a vx220 for years ant took it to various dealers  over the years but in the end was taking it to a local independent garage and was more that satisfied and just took my spider there for its first service  and as usual fantastic  service so it will always go there they are VAT registered so it wont effect any warranty.

That said if i had any problems under warranty i would take it to a main dealer but as for servicing it will always go to my local garage.

Geoff.