Author Topic: What Turbo?  (Read 271 times)

Offline Jabbutcher

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
What Turbo?
« on: December 25, 2018, 09:15:15 AM »
Hi Chaps,

I've recently picked up a '17 plate Campovolo grey 595 and love it, however it's only the 145bhp and I'd like to get it up to the same bhp as the comp.
Looking to start with an induction kit, I'm told there are two different turbos used in the range and I'd need a different kit depending on which mine has, does any one know how I can tell which mines kitted with without burying my head in the engine bay?

Cheers

Online Neil R

• 695 Member
    • View Profile
Re: What Turbo?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2018, 10:00:00 AM »
Hi, welcome to the AOC.  Enjoy the new car, it might be worth joining the Abarth Facebook group and posting your questions on there. Lots of people on there have modified cars.  Also make sure the car is well protected, lots are being targeted and stolen.
Neil.
Abarth 695 XSR Yamaha Limited Edition. Kit Elaborazione.
Carbon Gear stick, Carbon Sill Plates .Smoked Wind Deflectors.

Offline Geoffxb

• Abarth Professional
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: XXI5984
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2018, 12:02:07 PM »
Merry xmass everyone you can get it up to 160 quite easy with a good remap and a dyno run without doing anything else but to be honest I wouldn't push it to much,
Super Duper spider

Offline 137699

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 05:40:49 PM »
Hi, welcome to the AOC.  Enjoy the new car, it might be worth joining the Abarth Facebook group and posting your questions on there. Lots of people on there have modified cars.  Also make sure the car is well protected, lots are being targeted and stolen.
Neil.

Why are you so obsessed with killing this forum by sending everyone to facebook?

Not all of us want our privacy infringed by Facebook and (as a member of AOC on FB myself) the FB AOC page is full of absolute idiots who spend most of their time arguing and willy waving than actually helping other owners.

It's a glorified kindergarten. This page is FAR more professional and civilised and if wasn't for you sending every new owner to facebook, it would be a much better and more active community of like minded owners.

Offline goudrons

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2018, 09:33:47 PM »
Hi Chaps,

I've recently picked up a '17 plate Campovolo grey 595 and love it, however it's only the 145bhp and I'd like to get it up to the same bhp as the comp.
Looking to start with an induction kit, I'm told there are two different turbos used in the range and I'd need a different kit depending on which mine has, does any one know how I can tell which mines kitted with without burying my head in the engine bay?

Cheers

I believe the standard 595 (145hp) and the Trofeo (160hp) have IHI turbos.

The Turismo (165hp) and the Comp (180hp) have Garret turbos.

So it's not inconceivable to boost the 145 to 160  with just software alone.

An induction kit might add few ponies on top of that, then you're perhaps looking at a bigger intercooler and exhaust/sports cat.

From what I've read, 160 -170 is about the limit without compromising reliability too much.

Tuning boxes like the Bluespark seem popular and can usually be bought with various forum discounts. (not sure if this forum qualifies)
A bit cheaper than a remap and can be removed if needed, plenty of posts around by owners that have fitted them.

I've been considering a pedal box to sharpen up the throttle response as I find my Turismo pedal is a little unresponsive over the first inch of travel.
It won't add any horses, but I'm hoping it'll sharpen up the response a bit.

Offline Thesaint68

• Abarth Professional
  • Newbie Abarth owner
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: JB65 YAM
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2018, 02:10:43 PM »
Neil.

Why are you so obsessed with killing this forum by sending everyone to facebook?

Not all of us want our privacy infringed by Facebook and (as a member of AOC on FB myself) the FB AOC page is full of absolute idiots who spend most of their time arguing and willy waving than actually helping other owners.

It's a glorified kindergarten. This page is FAR more professional and civilised and if wasn't for you sending every new owner to facebook, it would be a much better and more active community of like minded owners.

Just my opinion but this forum is pretty dead these days................unfortunately. It's a real shame as this was the first place I looked when I bought my car back in 2015.

I agree the Facebook AOC is pathetic, full of keyboard warriors looking to aggravate at the first opportunity.

If it's mods you're looking for and advice on which ones to choose you would be better looking up Modified Abarth on Facebook, these guys know their stuff and will help you make informed decisions. There are also many local groups that are very active (also on Facebook) that might be able to get you involved in various local meets where you can talk to owners that have already done exactly what you are thinking of doing so can also advise you face to face.
Podium blue Yamaha Factory Racing | Power Motive exhaust | Sports Cat | Bola B1 alloys l H&R lowering springs l 12mm & 10mm Spacers | Tune4Perfomance  Remap | Forge Induction kit | Forge actuator | Mtech short shifter | Airtec FMIC | Team Heko wind deflectors | Limo black side/rear window

Offline Jabbutcher

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2019, 07:48:36 PM »
Thanks All,

It is the IHI, have an induction kit and a Bluespark kit on the way!

Also have a bung and small filter on the way to get some noise from the blow off.

Cheers

Offline SJP

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: VK16 OSG
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 03:49:05 PM »
Not wanting to wind anyone up...

But try joining the "Modified Abarth" page on face-book, there will be a post asking everything you want to know :)

Offline Jabbutcher

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2019, 06:45:33 PM »
Had a go at fitting the induction and bluespark today, bluespark went on with no issues just a few cuts messing about under the battery tray but as of yet noticed no performance difference, hopefully once it beds in it'll be noticeable.

The induction kit on the other-hand just doesn't seem like it's even made for the car, it's the IHI induction kit from TMC;

https://www.tmcmotorsport.com/product/8249

Has anyone else had problems with this or fitted one successfully?

I'm going to return it and buy some aluminium pipes and bends then throw a K & N on the end I think.

Offline SJP

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: VK16 OSG
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2019, 04:10:27 PM »
Assuming you have an ihi that is the right one... whats the problem extra pipes?

I think you need t T-pipe connector for it?

Please dont anyone yell at me, but the modified group is great for these kind of questions, when i fitted my Orra i had a confused moment, about 10 people answered my question within a few mins :)